Monday, December 19, 2016

Nature Inspired Christmas Urns

Nature Inspired Christmas Urns

Are you like me and want to change up your outdoor Christmas decorations every year? Maybe it’s just because I’m blogging, but last year’s decorations just seem…..well…..last year. Or maybe it’s because we’ve changed things around a bit since last December……



We got rid of the red/burgundy/purple paint and took out the black wrought iron railings. I also moved the concrete urn to the back entrance to give some light to a dark corner by the garage. These were replaced with a pair of classic urns on either side of the landing. All in all, I think it’s a lot cleaner looking with the brown paint. We still need to replace the light fixture and door mat. Which I never really realized how ugly it was until I looked at these photos. Time to go – you are out of here, Mr. Door Mat.



Because there’s so much brown around the house now, I didn’t want to add too much colour so chose a burlap ribbon as a base. (All you florist/crafty people out there – please forgive my awful bow making – it’s a skill I’ve never learned despite the hundreds of tutorials I’ve watched). Anyways…..



So to add to the natural theme, I used what I had around the yard – boxwood clippings, pine clippings, spruce, cedar and my favourite weeping cypress as an anchor. Adding some hydrangeas which had been drying in a jug in the kitchen, gave the urn some life. And of course, the ubiquitous twigs – this time in gold.



The natural theme continues on the store-bought pine wreath by tucking in some additional clippings, a burlap ribbon casually draped throughout and some gold twigs.



I love heading out to the garden on a nice late fall day with my secateurs in my hand to find the material. If you’re lucky enough to have a naturalized area close-by, you can always head out for a walk to gather some clippings. Using found items instead of purchasing things at the grocery store gives your holiday decor a more personalized touch.


Original article and pictures take www.newhousenewhomenewlife.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment