Monday, October 31, 2016

Make an Anthropologie Inspired Bird House Village

Make an Anthropologie Inspired Bird House Village


I love lots of color and whimsy in my backyard, and I’m (very) slowly putting together a garden area that’s inspired by the Mad Hatter’s tea party in Alice in Wonderland. When I saw this garden sculpture at Anthropologie, I knew it would fit in with my “fantastical” garden. The price tag ($498!!!) was wayyy out of my budget, so I made my own. Here’s how I did it.


Supplies


Step one: Paint the bird houses. I used blues and greens to mimic the Anthropologie piece. Paint the board and small wood pieces (from this kit), as well.


Step two: Brush a dark stain on the bird houses and wipe the stain back. I mixed Americana Stain Antiquing Medium with chocolate brown paint to make my own stain.

Step three: Place the birdhouses on the wood board to make an arrangement that you like. I tried several different options and took pictures to decide which one I liked best. To stack the houses, I used some of the small wood pieces to prop them up or to fill in empty spaces.


Step four: Once you’ve found an arrangement you like, use the wood glue to adhere the bird houses to the board. I started with the pieces that were glued directly to the board. With some, I had to add wood shims to the back to keep them level. Then I glued the birdhouses that “pop” out on top. Let the glue dry for 24 hours.



Add a photo hanger to the back of the wood panel, and find a place outside to show off your garden art! My piece will be in a covered courtyard, protected from the elements, so I didn’t seal it. It’s a fun, unexpected piece that’s sure to generate lots of conversation!



Original article and pictures take i0.wp.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment