Thursday, October 12, 2017

Two-Tone DIY Wooden Spoon Plant Markers

Two-Tone DIY Wooden Spoon Plant Markers

I was looking for a cute new idea for some plant markers (last year I did paint stick plant markers) and came across several ideas using wooden spoons as plant markers. Which I thought was a good idea as wooden spoons are very inexpensive. You can find a bag of them just about anywhere. I found a bag of 8 at TJMaxx for $3.99 but I know the dollar stores have them as well as the big box stores. Here’s how I made my DIY Plant Markers!


DIY Wooden Spoon Plant Markers - so easy to make and inexpensive!
DIY Wooden Spoon Plant Markers - so easy to make and inexpensive!

Last year I didn’t seal the paint stick plant markers I made and most of them didn’t make it through the winter (I probably shouldn’t have left them in the garden). So this year I used some outdoor Mod Podge to seal my new plant markers because even though they weren’t hard to make they were a bit more labor intensive than just writing a plant name on a paint stick! So I want them to last!


I made two tone wooden spoon plant markers using the same blue that I used on my vegetable garden gate and arbor and back screen door. I’m trying to unify the backyard with color – so I’m using that aqua color and sprinkling it around.


DIY Plant Markers - cute herb plant marker made from a wooden spoon
DIY Plant Markers

Materials:


  1. wooden spoons
  2. 2 different colors of acrylic paint
  3. alphabet stickers
  4. Mod Podge Outdoor

Instructions:


1. paint your wooden spoon the color you want your lettering to be and let dry for a few hours


DIY Plant Markers - tutorial for how to make wooden spoon plant markers
DIY Plant Markers

2. spell out your plant name on the flat side of the spoon with your alphabet stickers


3. paint over the alphabet stickers with your 2nd paint choice. Let dry about 20 minutes.


how to make wooden spoon plant markers

4. Carefully remove your stickers. Use your fingernail and start at one edge and gently lift off. As you remove the sticker you will see that the color you painted first will form your letter.


5. Seal with a few thin coats of Mod Podge Outdoor letting it dry 15 minutes or so between coats. Let your spoons dry for 24 hours before putting them outside (or skip the sealer part if you don’t care if they last more than one season)


DIY wooden spoon plant marker
DIY Plant Markers

These are really easy to make and if you set up assembly line style you should be able to make these plant markers quickly!


I know what plants are what – the plant markers aren’t for me but for other family members who for some reason will not can not remember where the pepper plants are or what’s basil and what’s mint!


Easy to make DIY wooden spoon plant markers
DIY Wooden Spoon Plant Markers - so easy to make and inexpensive!

Original article and pictures take acultivatednest.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment