Thursday, January 26, 2017

Paint a Stepping Stone Flower

Paint a Stepping Stone Flower

The other day I was working in my Secret Garden, laying out a paved area under an arbor. I am using the 12 x 12 concrete pavers. Thinking they looked so bland I wanted to add a bit of whimsy to them. I decided I wanted to paint a stepping stone flower.


paint a stepping stone into a flower, FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com (10 of 23)

I remembered a book I had tucked away somewhere by Lin Wellford on painting stepping stones with flowers and butterflies so I tracked it down. She did hers on round pavers but I figured I could make the square ones work just fine.


I started with some Zinser Bulls Eye paint (I had it on hand), I laid it on thick to help fill in the crevices a bit. These pavers are very pitted. She explains to hand draw a 5 pointed star in the middle. Mine is a little wonky but I tell myself I like things that way. Draw out lines from the points of the star then draw some slightly curved wavy lines along the outer edges to mimic petals.


Paint a concrete stepping stone into a flower. Easy and an oh so fun way to dress up those drab pavers. FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com

I thought about leaving the background white but her photos in the book showed the flowers really popping against the black so I decided to follow her directions on this one. So, as you see I added the black. I used regular bottled craft acrylic.


paint a stepping stone into a flower, FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com (4 of 23)

I chose a violet color for the petals since I am sticking with pinks, purples and blues in my Secret Garden. I used these white nylon brushes, these are my ‘go to’ brushes for base painting or doing large flowers, painting furniture. The light weight is easy on the hands and wrists when doing a large piece and I seem to have more control. I have also found these at JoAnn’s, look in the craft paint department.


paint a stepping stone into a flower, FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com (5 of 23)

I added the shading and highlights as directed in her book.


paint a stepping stone into a flower, FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com (6 of 23)

Some fuchsia in the center with some details. It is the details that make projects like this come together. And they disguise flaws too.


paint a stepping stone into a flower, FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com (8 of 23)

Once it is fully dry I will seal it with a few coats of Exterior Varathane. I will coat all sides even the back to inhibit the concrete from absorbing water and lifting the paint from the back. Even so being out in the weather all the time will still do it some damage but I can always repaint. I should try this with Patio Paint and see if it lasts longer.

What do you think?


I can’t wait to do some butterflies, the ones Lin Wellford has in her book are just beautiful.


UPDATE: I have painted the butterflies and I love them, check out the posts below for more!


Happy Painting!

If you enjoyed this, Please PIN and share..


Easily paint these beautiful blossoms on plain concrete pavers for a glorious walk in the garden! FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com

Original article and pictures take www.flowerpatchfarmhouse.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment