Monday, November 30, 2015

DRIED FLOWERS FOR FALL DECOR

DRIED FLOWERS FOR FALL DECOR
Dried Flowers at Sensible Gardening and Living

With the turning of the calendar page I decided it was time to accept the fact that summer was pretty much a thing of the past. Cooler temperatures have arrived along with shorter days. Seems like everyone has been busy getting their homes decorated for fall so decided it was about time I did the same.


As I’ve been cleaning up the garden I’ve picked and saved anything at all that I thought would dry nicely. I dug out a door basket I had bought years ago and went to work to make something festive and fall like for the front door.


dried flowers-sensible-gardening.jpg
Basket of Dried Flowers / Sensible Gardening and Living

basket-sensible-gardening.jpg
Basket Frame / Sensible Gardening and Living

I started with the taller stems of yellow yarrow, ornamental grass flower heads and oriental poppy seed heads.


door-decor-sensible-gardening.jpg
Dried Yarrow and Grass Stems / Sensible Gardening and Living

dried-seed-head-sensible-gardening.jpg
Dried Poppy Seed Heads / Sensible Gardening and Living

Next I added some spiked eryngium and allium seed heads.


dried-eryingium-sensible-gardening.jpg
Dried Eryingium / Sensible Gardening and Living

For a little colour and fragrance I had lavender stems, echinacea blooms and fluffy white seed heads of gallardia.


door-decor-2-sensible-gardening.jpg
Lavender Dried Stems / Sensible Gardening and Living

To fill in the empty spaces I added a few sprigs of white baby’s breath. It looks great and didn’t cost me a penny.


door-decor3-sensible-gardening.jpg
Door Decor / Sensible Gardening and Living

I had also dried tall stems of my pineapple plant (Centaurea macrocephala) which looked good standing in my tin watering can. I gathered up a few other items I had and ended up with an inviting seasonal entrance.


front-door-sensible-gardening.jpg
Fall Front Door / Sensible Gardening and Living

Kale-sensible-gardening.jpg
Ornamental Kale / Sensible Gardening and Living

For suggestions on great plants for drying visit my post BRINGING YOUR GARDEN INDOORS


Tagged baby's breath, dried flowers, fall decor, lavender stems, ornamental grass, ornamental kale, poppy seed heads


Original article and pictures take sensiblegardening.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment