Friday, November 13, 2015

DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb

DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb

Repurposed Garden Art Idea What is that giant ball of light in the garden? It’s my free version of a lighted grapevine ball.


I also have instructions for making decorative garden balls here: DIY Decorative Garden Ball Tutorial.


You’ve probably seen various orbs made from grapevines, chicken wire, or metal wire covered in outdoor holiday lights. After seeing the high price tags, I decided to make one using stuff I already own.


I always suggest “shopping” at home first, especially if you have any sturdy garden items in winter storage. If they can withstand the cold season, they’re fair game for winter garden art. Here I used metal wall planters.


DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb made from metal flower planters
DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb made from metal flower planters

I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned in a link on this post for sites including Amazon.com. Other links may go to websites where I have been paid to write a blog or article. See the entire disclosure here.


1. Gather Your Supplies


Some links go to my affiliate account at Amazon.com


Supplies for creating a DIY sparkling garden orb
Supplies for creating a DIY sparkling garden orb

  • (4) Metal wall planters (the “half circle” type—see the photo below).
    Each one is 1/4 of a sphere. Attach four together and —tada! —you’ve got a nice, big metal sphere.
  • Outdoor holiday lights. You’ll need 1-2 sets for each half of the sphere. The more the merrier. I used (2) 12-foot strings of lights.
  • Plastic cable ties and/or wire (to attach the planters together and secure lights to the planters)
  • Outdoor electrical extension cord (make sure it’s winter-safe and long enough to reach from the power source to the orb).
  • Thick twine (or wire) for hanging and securing the orb
  • Wire snippers

Curved garden planters for a DIY sparkling garden orb
I used cable ties to attach them together but you could also use small pieces of wire or some black duct tape.

Cable ties joining garden containers together for a DIY sparkling garden orb
Cable ties joining garden containers together for a DIY sparkling garden orb

Detail of lights attached to DIY sparkling garden orb
I attached my lights following the shape of the container, going up and down, working my way around.

Bottom half of a DIY sparkling garden orb
When both sets of containers have lights attached, join them together to form a sphere.

DIY sparkling garden orb on top of arbour
Here it is as the sun is starting to go down.

DIY sparkling garden orb
DIY sparkling garden orb

DIY sparkling garden orb
Just as I was taking the last photo the moon came up over the rooftops. Now I have two beautiful orbs of light.

DIY sparkling garden orb
~Melissa the Empress of Dirt ♛

DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb made from metal flower planters
DIY Use-What-You-Have Sparkling Garden Orb made from metal flower planters

Original article and pictures take empressofdirt.net site

No comments:

Post a Comment