Wednesday, September 16, 2015

DIY Garden Decor Cookie Cutter Rain Chain

DIY Garden Decor Cookie Cutter Rain Chain

My friends, The Garden Charmers, challenged each of us to come up with a DIY garden decor item using cookie cutters. My first thought was a wind chime. But I knew that would be the most obvious, so I decided to make a rain chain.


Here’s how I made my DIY cookie cutter rain chain:


170px-Hammer_Cup_Rain_Chain
source – wikepedia

But first some clarification….do you know what a rain chain is? According to Wikepedia, a rain chain is a decorative alternative to a downspout. Water can be collected at the bottom for household use or let to drain away. All I knew is that I’ve wanted one for quite a long time. This cookie cutter idea seemed like a perfect way to get one in my garden.


You’ll need:


supplies cookie cutter rain chain

Cookie cutters – I had a box of Easter/spring themed cutters that I hadn’t used since the kids were little. But you could use anything really – how about numbers? Or sport themed?


Chain – This is actually lamp chain I got at the local hardware store. I used 8′ altogether. I like using this because the links can be pulled apart with these….


pliers

Pliers – Two sets – one to hold each side of the chain loop to pull it apart.


Step 1:


fail

In my head, I thought it would be great to attach the cookie cutters with eye screws where I would loop the chain. MAJOR FAIL: first of all, I found it really difficult to keep the cookie cutter in place while trying to drill a hole. Secondly, I had a heck of a time screwing the eye screws into the metal – this is the only one that worked.


rain chain diy

Plan B: use a piece of wire to make a loop through the top of the cookie cutter and the chain. Twist with your pliers and tuck it in so you don’t scratch yourself.


Step 2:


IMG_7894
Repeat the loop through the bottom of the cookie cutter.

Step 3:


close-up diy rain chain

Determine how far apart you want the cookie cutters. I used 9 chain loops, but in retrospect probably would have gone with fewer for a fuller look.


Then with one set of pliers on each side of the “break” in the chain loop, pull apart one loop and discard it. You’ll have one piece already attached to a cookie cutter and another longer piece remaining.


Step 5:


Repeat with the remaining cookie cutters and chain until you have the length you need. Since I was hanging mine from the garage, I determined that the height from the eavestrough to the ground was 9′. Measure the location you’ll be placing yours.


Step 6:


You’ll need to secure the rain chain with an *adaptor such as this one. It comes in a kit so that you can attach your rain chain directly to the eavestrough.


Step 7:


IMG_7897

Decide how you would like to deal with the water that will gather. Will you let it drain out onto the grass? Or will you gather it in a large pot to use later watering plants, etc?


bottom of rain chain

My rain chain is whimsical, but there are a lot of different ways to make one….here’s some inspiration from my Pinterest board:


collage rain chain

Original article and pictures take www.newhousenewhomenewlife.com site

No comments:

Post a Comment